Thursday, August 2, 2012

Days 93 - 97 (July 24 - 29): Miles 1335 - 1423

I had a zero in Chester on Tuesday and it seems like my fever is gone now. Rian hung out most of the day and then headed out.

I left on Wednesday morning and after some misguided info from a local I hiked straight out of Chester with the plan to cut back onto the PCT a bit higher up the trail. I ended walking along some forest service and private dirt roads, did some bush wacking and had to ford the north branch of the Feather river. I got to another road where I was lucky to be picked up by a friendly local who dropped me off at a trail head a bit further up the trail. I got to Drakesbad in the afternoon where I caught up with Rian and Brian. I passed a cool fumarole and boiling lake! The pool there is fed by the hot springs and we soaked there for a while before having some dinner up at the ranch. There were quite a few other hikers there.

Brian left early on Thursday but Rian and myself hit the breakfast first. We reached Old Station late that evening.

On Friday morning we ate breakfast at JJ's cafe. I had the tall stack of pancakes and it was huge! First time in my life that I couldn't finish a meal of pancakes! I took a doggy bag and had some later that morning.

So we hung out at the subway cave just outside Old Station and hiked out at about 8pm with the plan to beat the heat on the dry and exposed Hat Creek Rim. We hiked all night and at about 7am the next morning we found some oak trees where we passed out untill late that afternoon. That afternoon we hiked on passed the fish hatchery and camped about 5 miles outside Burney Falls. At Baum lake we saw lots of Ospreys and a few Pelicans. We watched for a while as the Ospreys caught fish in the lake. That night I saw my first Bald Eagle as well. It swooped by above our camp site as the last rays of sun caught it in flight! It was beautiful!

We arrived at Burney Falls on Sunday morning and chilled out and had some snacks before heading down to check out the falls. We hiked out late afternoon to avoid the heat of the day.

Published with Blogger-droid v2.0.6

No comments:

Post a Comment