Monday, September 10, 2012

Days 128 - 133 (Aug 29 - Sept 3): Miles 1910 - 2002

We left Shelter Cove on Wednesday after having a nice cup of coffee and took an easy pace on the trail. There were some beautiful lakes along the way called the Rosary lakes. We camped at Charlton lake that night.

Thursday was another leisurely day and we camped at the Dumbbell lake on a cool peninsula running into the lake. The water looked great but we never ended up swimming there.

We got into Elk Lake resort on Friday. I had a nice breakfast and lunch and me, Ipod and Jawbone played some poker in the afternoon. We used old, dry pasta as our chips - needless to say my pasta was gone first! I left Rian and Kayla behind in the late evening, to hike out and try to get to Sisters on Saturday.

Saturday was a great day. I hiked past the Sisters mountains through beautiful meadows and woodland. Later I reached the large lava rock fields on the way in to Mackenzie pass. There is a cool observatory lookout at the pass. There I spoke to a young couple from Portland who wanted to know more about my hike. They were on the way to Crater Lake and ended up giving me a lift to Sisters. They are going to climb middle Sister and then go to the Bellknap hot springs for a day.

Sisters is a cool little town. Lots of tourists. I stayed at the Motor Lodge motel and had a zero on Sunday. Right next to the motel is a gas station with a little take away joint that sells great burritos. I had three burritos there!

I had some trouble hitching out on Monday but as luck has it Lloyd, a retired trail angel from Bend drove by and picked me up. He spends many days driving hikers around and helping them out. Great guy! He is very knowledgeble about the area and told me much about the lava fields and the ring of fire (ring of volcanoes stretching around from Alaska, through Washington, Oregon, Mexico, South America and the pacific ocean!)

So I'm back on the trail and looking to get to Timberline Lodge on Friday.

Published with Blogger-droid v2.0.6

No comments:

Post a Comment