Saturday, June 16, 2012

Day 50 - 54 (June 10 - 13): Miles 702 - 760

On Sunday afternoon, after another great burger at the store, Brian, Gnu and myself started heading out. We took it easy and only did about 5

miles before setting up camp early next to the river. Gnu tried to fish again and caught a small trout. He's first fish in the sierras! We made a camp fire and chilled a while before hitting going to bed. There was a beaver in the water right next to our camp and it sounded like it was catching fish because we heard a lot of splasing in the dark.


Monday was pretty tough. We did over 20 miles and climbed well over 4000 feet to an altitude of about 10500 feet. I saw a really cool little chipmunk running in the trail in front of me. He tried hiding behind e very small shrub by crouching and leaning in behind it. He soon realised I could still see him and he shot off again. We also spent quite a while at the bridge across the south fork of the Kern river, watching the swallows fly around.


On Tuesday I saw my first black bears! The first was a mile out from where I camped and I spotted it standing very still about 50 meters to my left, first looking away and then straight at me. It looked away again but didn't move at all. Eventually I decided to move on. About an hour later me and Brian saw another one, walking straight across the trail in front of us and into the meadow on our left. We stood there for a while and watched it sniff around in the meadow. Awesome sighting!


Wednesday morning we arrived at Chicken Spring lake at an altitude of about 10500 feet. What a gorgeous place! I took a quick dip in the ice cold water but it was worth it! We had a long day with a tough climb at the end and arrived at Crabtree Meadow as the sun was setting. What an absolutely beautiful place! There were deer grazing in the meadow and the sun shone it's golden rays onto the forest and cliffs on the far side of the meadow.


Published with Blogger-droid v2.0.4

No comments:

Post a Comment