Saturday, June 16, 2012

Days 40 - 43 (May 30 - June 3): Miles 526 - 593

So on Wednesday we did about 22 miles. I haven't been keeping track of daily mileage too much recently so I think I might be out by a mile or two here and there.


The walking along the aqua duct was pretty easy. Lots of Joshua trees around. Soon we started climbing into the hills with wind turbines all around us. We took a short break under a bridge and then further up under one of the massive turbines. The wind was blowing crazy and Brian was able to play his harmonica by holding it up in the wind.


We got into Mojave on Thursday. I got a lift from a trail angel and previous pct hiker called Steady. He was on his way to Oregon from Arizona and decided to drive by the trail head and drop off some drinks for hikers. He didn't have any other space so the guys said I should go because of my sore ankle. On the way into town I saw hundreds of wind turbines. Mojave is supposed to have the most in world. This desert town is where Richard Brandon's space shuttle is being tested. There is a big airfield and bunch of planes here. Check this out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEmLOU8zTSE&feature=youtube_gdata_player


Brian and I stayed at the motel 6 while Rian stayed at the house of an engineer who offered coach surfing. The guy works on the virgin space shuttle. Last week there were some gails here that lifted a plane and shifted it onto another plane. There is a video on youtube.


In Friday Brian, Rian, Ngu and I shared a room at the American Best Western motel. It has a great pool and hot tub and I spent quit a bit of time in them. We made stops at the post office and take away places and then lounged around for the rest of the day watching some movies.


On Saturday the motel manager offered us a lift to the trail head for 15 bucks. He gave me a charger for my phone after mine broke.


We sat around in the shade at the trail head untill about 1 pm and then started heading out. The winds were pretty rough in some places and Tehachapi Pass is known as one of the windiest places in the world. Just before we found camp my glasses blew right off my face. I found them in some brushes but one of the lenses popped out. Brian and myself searched for about 30 minutes but by that time it was too dark. I marked the spot next to the trail so I could come down from camp at sunrise to search some more. The next morning I went down and luck was on my side! I found the lens in 5 minutes, lying about a meter further down from where I found my glasses.


On Sunday we did about 22 miles. Before the last section of the day I taped up my ankle and it felt pretty good for most of the walk. We camped in a beautiful spot with oak trees and it looked amazing with the full moon coming out that night.


Published with Blogger-droid v2.0.4

No comments:

Post a Comment