Saturday, May 5, 2012

Day 12 (3 May): Miles 157 - 173

So today involved a lot of climbing as I entered the San Jacinto mountains. It's been the toughest day of climbing yet.


I'm camping at about 7000 feet and overlooking what I believe is Palm Springs. The scenery has been great today. There are a few tough sections I would not have tried if there was still snow up here.


Had a tough time getting water from a spring today as my water bladders kept falling in ( air got pushed out to quick for gravity to let the water flow in). Eventually I just put the spouts against a small outflow but it took forever to fill up. Got there in the end though!


I'm amazed at the humming birds. They seem very interested in me and fly close enough for me to be able to reach out and touch them. But of course they quickly wizz away if I try.


I saw Heather and Sierra(Monkey) again today and have seen them quite frequently from Paradise Cafe onwards. Also hiked with Simpson and Big Wuss during the day. Was surprised how much Simpson knew about SA history and the boer war. Turns out he reads a lot of military history and is or was part of the US military.


While I'm writing this I am watching the mountain shadows engulf Palm Springs and the valley below. Amazing.


Off to Idylwild tomorrow and hoping to get there before lunch.


Published with Blogger-droid v2.0.4

1 comment:

  1. Look's amazing Ryno. Sounds like a real adventure. Hope everything is going well, as we haven't seen any new posts the last couple of days

    ReplyDelete