Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Day 22 (May 13): Miles 280 - 297

Firstly, it was Mothers day today. Happy mothers day mom! Sorry I couldn't phone you!


We were up and away by 6am this morning and even though the trail was pretty easy we made slow progress. We talked about Cajon Pass and the Mcdonalds regularly.


Much of the terrain around Gold Mountain and beyond was burnt but later in the day the scenes along Holcomb Creek improved and the desert landscape was again present.


A few miles in along Holcomb Creek I walk right over a King snake. It had just slithered onto the path as I was taking a step and I almost stepped on it. It quickly moved off the path as I equally quickly dodged over it. At first I thought it was some other snake. It stopped right next to the path under the shade of a bush. I was able to take a picture. Little guy made my day! It's not poisonous but looks a lot like a Coral snake which is highly poisonous.


We took an excellent lunch and siesta break at one of the camp sites along the creek and had a quick dip in the creek.


Rest of the day was uneventful except for my painful left ankle bothering me. We are camping next to Deep Creek tonight. We also saw Ryan whom I met in Idyllwild. He catched up with us after staying another day in Idyllwild.


I'm contemplating taking a zero at Cajon Pass to see if my ankle improves.


Published with Blogger-droid v2.0.4

1 comment: